Sue Burkitt's Venison Casserole
The National Trust has 10 properties with fallow deer herds. One of them is Belton House in Lincolnshire. Belton has recently started selling venison from their herd in their site shop. Sue Burkitt is the catering manager at Belton House and has sent through this recipe for venison stew (thanks Sue!).
Venison Casserole (serves 6)
1 tbsp oil
2 onions diced
4 rashers smoked bacon
2.5 kg diced venison
250ml red wine
2 pt stock
3 tbsp cranberry sauce
Cornflour to thicken
- Preheat oven to 180’c
- Heat oil and butter. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add bacon and mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Brown the venison and add to the onion mixture.
- Add the red wine and stock and bring to the boil.
- Place in a casserole dish and cook in the oven for 90 mins.
- Remove from the oven and add the cranberry sauce.
- Make a paste with cornflour and water and add to the casserole.
- Cook for a further 5 mins.
- Season as required.
Serve with creamed potato and seasonal vegetables.